Phenomenal Flowers

So, I won’t say that this project came out perfectly, or that I’d do it exactly the same way again, but it was fun to make and it turned out good enough! Building a floral letter was actually fairly straight forward and ended up being a fun activity. I’d definitely change a few things – which I’ll tell you about below – and I actually think it would make a world of difference. 

So let’s recap. This week I worked to make a floral letter as part of the decorations for my sister-in-law’s baby sprinkle for her daughter. 

For this project you’ll need:

  • Fake flowers
  • Green floral foam
  • A glue gun
  • Glue gun glue
  • Wire cutters – which I didn’t anticipate, but scissors just don’t cut through the fake flower stems!
  • Some kind of knife

Here are the basic steps:

  • Layout a letter with the green foam
  • Glue foam together
  • Cut stems from fake flowers (leaving about two inches to the stem)
  • Stick the flowers into the foam to decorate


I began by laying out a shape with the green foam. It’s easy enough to lay out and be able to determine what letter you’re looking at, but then you need to think through how it’s all going to attach. Since I skipped a few of my planned steps – totally ignored the cardboard backing idea – I had to stick some smaller pieces of green foam into weird crevasses so I wouldn’t have gaps. This worked out fine for two reasons – the first being that the flowers covered it up, and the second being that hot glue makes ANYTHING stick together.  

I had to cut a few edges – which I did CAREFULLY with an exacto knife. This was a struggle – the blade, although sharp, was tiny, so it required a million little cuts to try to make an edge, which made a mess. After a bit of time cutting the foam, I hot glued it all together, holding the glued pieces for 30 seconds while it set.

First steps in placing the flowers onto the green floral foam
Green floral foam with fake flowers

Once I had my letter, I moved on to getting the flowers ready. I had purchased a lot of fake flowers at different points, so I laid them all out to get a sense of which looked best together.

I tried to incorporate more open flowers with a few smaller, tighter ones. I also ended up making use of some of the leaves that were on the stems of the flowers – especially to cover the inner sides of the foam.

Once I had a sense of which flowers I was going to use, I tried to cut down the stems to leave only about two inches on each. Another snag – this didn’t work. I actually think I caused some potentially serious damage to my scissors, but I haven’t had to use them again yet so I’m not totally sure! Luckily my husband was home and found wire cutters for me. He helped me snip down the flower stems, so this actually became a pretty precious couple’s project.

The great thing about working with the foam is that you can push the flower stems right in – and take it out and move it again if you don’t like how it looks. I placed and moved dozens of the flowers until I was happy.

The sides of the letter were the biggest issue. I decided not to decorate the back or the bottom since they wouldn’t be visible. I tried placing big flowers on the outside edges and greens on the inside edges. I had to play with this a lot, and to be honest, I never quite loved it.


Next Time I would:

My first tip is to make the base big – that was my biggest issue. Once I added all the flowers on, because I hadn’t made the letter itself big enough, it began to look a little like a blob. This is why I didn’t quite love it. Although I could tell that it was a K – and I imagine that those who understand its meant to be an initial would read it the same – it sort of lost its shape. I realized this was because the flowers spread out a bit, especially the ones on the sides, and it loses it’s form. See? It sort of looks more like a blob of flowers than an initial!

My second tip is that I’d work with more Dollar Tree flowers – I think the more expensive ones could have been skipped and the result would have been about the same.

I’d also use a larger knife to make the cuts – the exacto knife was so tiny that I ended up shredding some of the foam and couldn’t get the edges straight. Oh, and I’d do the cutting over a trash bag or an easily wiped surface because the foam gets everywhere.

Overall, I’ll definitely be trying this again for other occasions.

Published by pauseforprosecco

A Boston girl who loves her pearls. Follow along with me as I balance a busy schedule and try to incorporate one new adventure a week into my life!

Leave a comment

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: